Tuesday 26 June 2012

Hockey Inspiration


If you set a goal, and work hard, you can achieve anything...

I decided I wanted to learn how to play hockey at the end of last year, so I signed up for a class in January. When I started, I could barely skate forwards and had only been on hockey skates once, when I refereed for the Longest Game 4 CF.  

It was not pretty, but each Sunday, I laced up and learned something new, each class getting faster, more agile, a wee bit better. When I struggled, I thought about the Longest Game 4 CF, and what those women did—playing for 10 straight days with bloody ankles and injuries to break the world record and raise money for Cystic Fibrosis. I was lucky enough to get a jersey from the CF event, so it's what I wear in each class/during each game as inspiration.

Now, some five months, three classes and one concussion later, I can actually play hockey, skate pretty darn well and hit a slap shot! While I've still got a long way to go, I've enjoyed my love affair with this sport (through the years as a fan) and will now forever be a player.

If there is something you want to do, no matter how hard or how old you are, do it. As Goethe once said, "What you can do, or dream you can do, begin it; boldness has genius, power and magic in it."

Well said, Johann.










No comments:

Post a Comment